Wednesday, August 1, 2007

The Devil in Marketing: Why not make Harry Potter the new Bible?

I'm going to give in and read Harry Potter.

Hear me out.

I'm viewing it as a doorway into conversation, like knowing who won the ballgame. But while sports fandom can lead to sweaty chest bumps from strangers, apparently these magical little books work more like a rorschach test. Whole cultures twist it into whatever Meaning suits their fancy. And with everyone reading them, or being told to read them, or having them read to them, or having them translated into films which can be viewed by them with people who insist that they must be read by them in order to be viewed by them in a manner pleasing to them, I feel like I'm missing out on a cultural experience which is allowing people to discuss ideas about relationships and morality tangentially, as if they have somehow become safe through the newly sacred text.

I'm not looking for something with high literary quality here. I'm not going to use the text to expand my ability to interpret/think/express. I doubt new concepts will be brought up. But I'm hoping to learn a few stories that can be alluded to in casual conversation, little hooks for strange fish, ready to be reeled in and gutted with my affection.

Cause I do honestly enjoy people going out of their way to read stories that connect them with the people around them. Hell, it beats the news.

No comments: