Tuesday, July 31, 2007

I would prefer sharing tallboys with ex-cons

Back from vacation, choking on sweet city air.

On the bus ride back, I found myself surrounded by foreign university students, discussing contemporary politics, using the most abstract of terms.

"Capitalism!", "Separation of powers!", "Media conspiracy!"

It was painful.

I forced myself to sit back and try to decipher what the hell these people were trying to accomplish, arguing over what they hadn't defined. Relief settled in as I realized they weren't trying to do a damn thing. They may as well have been talking about football. Super muscle man has 400 sacks? Skinny French theorist wrote 80 articles on the Portuguese media? Same damn thing.

If you're going to argue over politics, stick with concrete examples and terms you've newly redefined in that conversation. 'Cause no one wants to see you scratching yourself, leaning on borrowed authority.

No comments: