Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Where Are the Mythic Floods?

Short of an act of a deity I don't believe in, there isn't a much that the United States citizens or congress can do to the president anymore. I'm not one to advocate wiping clean the face of the Earth, but I do not believe I can describe my current opinion on the state of my country any other way than complete and total disillusionment. I used to think that when there was great evil the good would band together and stave it off; this sentiment no longer seems true, and perhaps it was only true in the pulp stories of my youth.
Where is this great evil?
That is my current problem, I can't truly find it. I have begun to rationalize everything and with this new found logic virus I no longer feel anything towards our current state of being. I find moments or flashes of white hot emotion, but soon it simmers down to a slow boil and the feeling of helplessness settles back in. The only question I have left that lights fires in my blood is this: What happened to compassion? I no longer see it in the eyes of a country whose founding legal documents seemed so wonderfully promising. And, unlike some others I don't see dollar signs or the number of the beast; all I see are glassy eyes reflecting my own vacuous stare tinged slightly with red from an eternal hangover.

No comments: