Monday, July 2, 2007

Hot Nights and Cold Wars

Lately, I've been a bit of a shut in, drinking alone till the early hours of the morning and scrolling through news sites. I've shied away from my old haunts and even stopped calling people during the day to save on cellphone charges. All of this in the name of saving some money. And, while my pocket book maybe stable, my consciousness is far from it. The last few weeks I've been trying to convince myself that we are not heading into another cold war. Putin's suggestions of modernizing the Azerbaijan early warning station have all but been shot down, while Bush wants to place an American presence on the Russian border. All seemed lost until I read this wonderful paragraph:

"Both leaders, who dined on pancakes and omelets for breakfast and curried zucchini soup and chicken salad for lunch, smiled and seemed eager to portray a strong, stable relationship between the two nations. Putin is the first head of state to be hosted at the Maine summer home by President Bush, an attempt to warm relations in a place of sparkling views and summertime weather."

Oh, thank fuck there's sparkling views and summertime weather to melt away Putin's icy Russian exterior. Word on the street is that they've got a few fishing trips planned. If only Roosevelt and Stalin would have put on jean shorts and gone bass fishin' this whole fucking thing would have never been started.
After this post I plan on heading straight out and grabbing a drink. Then as I amble home, my drunken screams for peace will find ears among the stars, and if I'm lucky maybe I'll see a Russian missile flying overhead. You know when you see a Russian missile fly over head and you make a wish, it doesn't come true then either.

No comments: