Sunday, February 3, 2008

A Quadzillion Fun Moneys Dollars Bills

Many of you out in internet-land have (because there are a lot of you, I believe this is a safe statement) probably saw an article on Bush's proposed push for a THREE TRILLION DOLLAR budget. Of course, the largest chunks of money, apx. 500 billion dollars, are going towards the defense budget (I have read that the border defense will be included in that figure). This, of course, is not the reason I am posting.
I am posting because (again, I make the assumption) that like many of you I don't really care. THREE TRILLION DOLLARS seems an unimaginable figure to someone who barely makes 10 grand a year. Where the money comes from might as well be (and probably is) from a magical-printing-press-land where 'cherry chopping' George Washington and 'Honest' Abe Lincoln dance around a mystical pyre singing the song that keeps world economics plugging along. There are unicorns and flying orangutans that smack their red asses while their wings beat, as well as, all your dead pets who watch the money pour from the ether and into the vast governmental vaults. If you were curious, those are the vaults in which Scrooge McDuck goes swimming.
Here's where I get angry.
Of all of this money, this ENORMOUS deficit, the proposed savings (the savings that net us precious tax cuts) are coming from slowing the growth of medicaid. I understand I don't need to repeat that so I'll say this: We are so interested in killing people that we are even willing to kill some of our own citizens by decreasing the growth of health care, and therefore are able to spend more money killing people we don't know. Ladies and Gentlemen, if there was ever a time to be appalled it was probably some other time, because now disbelief has set in.

No comments: