Tuesday, February 26, 2008

What They Need is a Doomsday Beef Vault

Norway, a country that I have heard nothing but decent things about aside from it's "cold," has begun a project to create a vault on a remote arctic island that will hold up to 4.5 million types of seeds. Noble. The theory is: in cases of severe famine, war, or if we just really fuck something up, we will have a bank of seeds to get the vegetation that we rely so heavily upon up and running again. This is why it has been dubbed the "Doomsday Vault"
It should be noted that there is a similar vault in Sussex, England. But, the English seed bank deals more specifically with wild plants, while the Norwegian seed bank will deal mostly with crops.
The troubling thing, and I understand how patriotically arrogant this sounds, but, no where did I see the US involved in this. What great PR it would have been for our country, and we could use some good PR (who couldn't). Then it hit me. We're Americans, and we are god-dammed meat eaters. If this was a beef vault (I'm not entirely sure how that would pan out) we would be climbing over one another to get in on that sweet deal. "Guaranteeing that future generations of little boys and girls get to eat hamburgers, well shit, count me in."
Now, I have not one damn problem with meat. I like meat. A lot. But, I am definitely one who reaches for some asparagus, or broccoli, or those little cherry tomatoes that they put on fancy salads(delicious).
Therefore on behalf of my great nation I would like to say: "THANK YOU NORWAY!!!! for securing the availability of crops for generations to come!"

No comments: