Thursday, April 10, 2008

Stolen Goods, Hot Sales, and Cold Cash

An article was up on the ol' CNN stating that U.S. military equipment was being stolen and then subsequently sold on EBay or Craig's List.
This is an odd article -I am well aware that I don't have all the facts- because I don't know where to ethically fall on this argument. I have a hard time believe that ALL of the stolen equipment is going to find its way to malevolent hands; then again, I wonder what would happen if it did. Are the items, such as night-vision goggles and army combat uniforms, so incredibly dangerous that we must pass laws to prevent them falling into enemy hands (whom ever that may be at the time), as well as, civilian hands. Perhaps it depends on the item. Night-vision goggles, well, those are just pretty cool in general and I'm sure military-grade goggles are even cooler. Military uniforms on the other hand could have a bit more of a dastardly use. It wasn't that long ago that Iraqi insurgents sneaked into a military base with such stolen uniforms. Here's the issue that I have: Are these "dastardly villains" doggedly scouring EBay and Craig's List to find the perfect items to complete there plan? Couldn't these evil-doers just home-brew some uniforms and goggles. Even the stolen F-14 parts don't seem so incredibly high-tech that it would be impossible for a foreign nation to whip some up.
The reality then is this: these items are mostly going to fall into the hands of military buffs, odd fat-ass collectors, and 13 year old boys with super-rich parents. I'm not sure that the passing of another stifling law is really the remedy to the problem itself.
On the other hand, I don't wish harm upon anyone in the U.S. armed forces, nor do I want their job to be any more difficult than it already is. So, you can see where the inner conflict happens.
To make matters worse Congressman Chris Shays made this comment, "Do we have a serious theft problem, or do we not even know if we have the ability to know we have a serious theft problem?"
Well, I've worked in retail long enough to know that if you have cool shit, you probably have a theft problem.

-That's all I got.

No comments: