Thursday, April 24, 2008

That Poor Bastard

CNN had a very interesting article on the upcoming trial of the supposed 9/11 mastermind. The title of said article is “Lawyer fears 9/11 mastermind trial will be 'insanity'.” Well, no shit. Now, in no way am I saying that Khalid Sheikh Mohammed is innocent, nor am I even saying he's a good person, but he is still a person, and I am in one-hundred percent agreement with his attorney, Prescott Prince, that he deserves a fair trial (just like any other person in this great country of ours). Though,I also have doubts to the nature of the evidence obtained because of the supposed torture that defendant underwent. So, naturally, because of the nature of the incident, I'm sure he will quickly be found guilty. Again, I'm not saying he's innocent; I'm just supposing that if someone tries to drown you, you are going to tell them what they want to hear. Maybe, I'm not a god-dammed mind reader; it is possible that everyone aside from myself has been through some sort of interrogation resistance training. I think I skipped out of that summer-camp event.
All this is merely pretense to what I actually want to talk about. I want to talk about good ol' Prescott. I want every one to understand that Mr. Prince -this is CNN's own words here- “...is a small-town lawyer who has never taken a death penalty case to trial.” That's right he's never been involved in a case on this scale. I'm in no way implying that Mr. Prince is dumb or inept, but what I am saying is that I think they found someone who is probably under-prepared and willing to ruin his career. Seriously, the reason there isn't a prominent criminal defendant lawyer heading this case is because no one would want to touch the death of their professional life. I know I wouldn't, but shit, maybe I missed that day at summer-camp too. Mr. Prince is an easy mark who is forever going to be remembered as the man who stuck up for one of the country's most vilified criminals, and, of course, lost. Again, who wants that? This poor bastard is a small scale lawyer who may or may not be in too deep of waters, I truly feel sorry for the guy.
Though, he does have a pretty rockin' mustache.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I happen to know Mr. Prince. I worked as his paralegal in Richmond, VA before he was called to active duty with the Navy. The article paints him as a "small town attorney", but he's no hillbilly. He is quite capable of defending any client that he may be assigned to.

Unknown said...

I also know Captain Prince through associates. . . calling him a "poor bastard" "willing to ruin his career" is completely off-base on this one. Look at his track record--graduate of Davidson? Law degree at Washington and Lee?

It is more than possible that Prince CHOSE a small practice until being called to duty. He was appointed and he would be unpatriotic NOT to serve his duty.

Please rethink what you say. . . when you make commentary on such subjects, you open yourself up to much judgement. Richmond is quite metropolitan, and you can well assure yourself that the Navy Captain (a huge accomplishment--especially to attain as reserve) will more than serve his country

Unknown said...

Also, look at the comments on that article...much more regard him as a patriot.

Anonymous said...

Scott Prince is one of the finest attorneys that I have ever had the privilege with which to work. I have tried murder cases with Scott and I would readily have him represent either me or anyone in my family if charged with a crime.
It might do well to remember that Richmond Virginia (metropolitan population in excess of one million) is not, despite the conceit of the article's author, a small town. In addition, it has in the past had one of the highest murder rates in the country. It is located in the most conservative district in the very conservative Fourth Circuit. There is a very good reason that most terror trials are done in the Eastern District of Virginia.

You may want to consider that no one has done a case like this ever. It is a military poceeding that may result in the death penalty. This requires an attorney who is not a civilian. It requires someone with a meticulous mind and the ability to pour his heart and soul into a case. Scott fills both of these bills. His conception of honor and duty would require that he do this.

And don't be so damned smug about the potential outcome of this case. Remember that it was another Richmond attorney that kept Lee Boyd Malvo )sniper)off death row.